Thursday, April 14, 2011

urban plains teams up with cabbages & roses!



Once upon a time...a long, loooong ago I mentioned in a post that I had somehow talked my friend, Andrea into helping me redesign my guest bedroom. Andrea came up with a fantastic moniker for what we were about to embark on...the 'Urban Plains Project'. A little of me, a little of her...and we were hoping to have the result be a whole lot of beautiful! Does anyone remember that? It has been a while since we talked about it, but we have good reasons for our delay, I promise!

Because of that blog post, Andrea and I have been given the most amazing opportunity to work with Cabbages & Roses, and each make over a space in our home! We could not be more excited to work with Christina's lovely fabrics, and are beyond thrilled to bring a little of the English countryside into our rooms!

I decided my guest bedroom would indeed be my room of choice. I could think of no better place for such soft, beautiful fabrics and I am so happy with the lovely selection they have sent for me to use in my space!


When my husband and I purchased this house a few years ago, I admit it was not the house of our dreams. I never pictured myself in a 1950s era ranch style home. I am a girl whos style is more farmhouse, with a squeaky screen door and lovely old windows with their original wavy glass. I like falling asleep to the sound of the country...and waking up to birds chirping and a breeze making my curtains billow. But living in this house was an opportunity we could not pass up. this house was right next door to my sister. I can look out my office window right and see her working in her flower garden. I love that. I love cranking open the window and having that 5 minute conversation about nothing. I knew I could always return to my roots and move back to a farm, but when would I ever again have the opportunity to build the memories that living next door to one of my favorite peeople in the world. So I had to make it happen. And I am turning this rancher into the cottage of my 'current' dream.


And Cabbages and Roses is helping me make that happen...




So just how do I plan to make a guest bedroom in a 1950s ranch style home into the English Country cottage of my dreams??

Here are a few little snippets of my room "before"...and a preview of my plan.



This is the view standing at the door, as you would walk in. This is your standard 12x12 bedroom, totally lacking in architectural interest and style. But, I plan on fixing that with some unique things I will be adding to the room.

Remember that barn I took down piece-by-piece last fall?? Well, I am using some of the oak boards from the interior to cover the headboard wall! I am so excited to show you how it turns out! That wood, along with new mouldings, a crystal chandi and C&R 'new penny pink' fabric on the windows should give this old room a bit of panache!




This is the wall to the left of the doorway when you walk in the room. I plan on using this beautiful old piece of driftwood on the wall with rusty hooks I salvaged from a workshop space. They will hold a couple of totes made from C&R fabrics.




The headboard wall will be covered in the salvaged wood, but the headboard for the bed is a repurposed piece with a wood frame and a fabric insert in the center. It will be made beautiful with a little 'hatley cerise linen' fabric.




For the other side of the room, I have plans for a antique chest of drawers painted a pale gray. It should be beautiful with the 'new penny pink' drapes hanging next to it.

Oh, and I cannot forget...I have beautiful, new closet doors on the way, too! Out with the 1950s plain birch sliding doors...I am bringing a little farmhouse feel to this space with a new set of swinging double doors.



So there you have it, girls.

One plan, two girls, and an amazing opportunity to make our space beautiful!

Andrea and I are going to be working hard the next few weeks, so stay tuned! Cabbages and Roses will be bringing the English countryside to our homes, and we can't wait to share it with you!

 We will have a full reveal of our spaces during the first week of May!

38 comments:

  1. Your plan sounds wonderful...I can hardly wait for the reveal. Love those fabrics...love anything Cabbage and Roses! What a wonderful opportunity for you girls! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait - you'll never get out of bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I can't wait to see what ya'll come up with. Just from your description and your vision I can tell it's going to be amazing!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can see the vision plainly and can't wait to see the end result! Looks so pretty, it'll be the room you never leave:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see it finished, don't keep us waiting too long.
    Have a lovely day
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Miss Mary.... This is going to be way cool. Your style and taste is enough to throw this over the top...I can't wait to see it all finished...Have a wonderful Weekend.

    ~~Pattie~~
    The Shabby Chick

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing so I know this room is going to beautiful! I love the fabric you chose...it's my favorite so I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    How fun that you're doing this with Andrea...she has a fabulous taste and is so great! Don't keep us waiting too long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting for you, as well as all of us.I love Cabbages & Roses and wished it was a lil easier to order from them.I missed a good sale free shipping to the US darn.Maybe they will do it again.I can't wait to see~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. on pins and needles to see the final result...i'm sure it will be lovely.

    blessings,

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  10. Photos all the way please - I love the Cabbages & Rose for their style and restraint, can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the ideas! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds too divine! I can imagine everything at it looks gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! I can't wait to see the finished room. Those fabric choices are divine, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you. :) Happy remodeling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds wonderful and I will stay tuned I love the fabric!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your room has so much potential and I think your vision is perfect. I am excited to see the finished results! Oh, and I LOVE Cabbages and Roses!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited to see this process!!! I have that fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh.....I can hardly wait for your reveal!! Love the fabrics you chose! So pretty!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary, one reason I love blogging is that it gives us an opportunity to put our dreams on virtual paper, and post those dreams as they manifest themselves into real life. I love how you have planned right here!!! And better yet, we can all see and be inspired!
    Here is hoping that your room is everything you are dreaming of and more! YOu are off to a beautiful start!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to see everything! Especially the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How talented you are to be able to visualize that and sketch it out on paper. Can't wait to see the finished prettiness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's going to be so BEAUTIFUL. Your plans sound gorgeous and the fabrics...all lovely choices. You're kickin' it in an old Ranch just like me so I cannot wait to see how this room turns out. Most ranches definitely lack architectural interest. I had some archways & built-ins in the office...that was about it! Congratulations to you & Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you live next door to your sister...oh man I am so envious! I am thrilled my girls live within 2 miles but to live the Lucy and Ethel lifestyle!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I love your plans!!! Especially your headboard wall! Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, it's going to be beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't wait to see it!!! I know it's going to be gorgeous Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Keep hearing about you from Momma!~ (Savvy City)
    This project looks so exciting! I can't wait to see the afters!!!!!!
    Angela,
    Parisienne Farmgirl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't wait to see the finished project. I love all of the Cabbage and Roses line... mixed with rustic elements... it will look fantastic!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree so excited to see the finished project!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh how exciting! I love love love your ideas and the fabric choices are fabulous!!
    And I remember well the barn you dismantled. I am so glad to finally be able to see some of the wood in use! Bet you are too!
    Can't wait to see!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  30. How fun and exciting for you two!!
    Can't wait to see you work some magic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an amazing opportunity, Mary! The fabric is beautiful! All of your plans sound wonderful! Can't wait to see what it all looks like put together. :)
    Happy weekend!
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  32. sounds like fun! can't wait to see it! enjoy the weekend! susan

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's so exciting! Can't wait to see it hen it's complete!

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh oh! i love that! watching carefully to see what you do! those faded fabrics make my heart stop x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just seeing the empty room made me excited!!!!

    :-D

    ReplyDelete