Tuesday, July 3, 2012

kane county flea market - July 2012



I am trying to come up with a phrase to describe this weekend at the flea...

EVENTFUL. 

Let's just call it that. 

I didn't have much time to snap pics this month. When the gates opened, it was pure madness. I was turning in circles to help everyone. It was such a great start to what ended up being a very wicked weekend. And it was HOT. Hot, hot, HOT...so if you saw me Saturday morning, my deepest apologies. By the time I unloaded 2 trucks of furniture, I was a hot mess. Literally. 

While white is still my best seller, I decided to bring a few colorful pieces this month. I miss painting things something other than white...so this fulfilled my need for this show. 

I wish I had 100 of this one, I could have sold each and every one. Such a unique style for a buffet...and I finished it in Provence by Annie Sloan. I love the white primer peeking through.





This is such a cute dresser...reminds me of one Pottery Barn has right now.




This is the sweetest pair of twin beds I have ever painted. Such cute detail...and love those curved footboards!




I have to admit...I kinda thought the Kane County Flea Market this past weekend would be my last. Not because I was going to choose to no longer be a vendor....but because I was going to get blown 3 states away in the wicked storm that popped up. It was soooo scary!

Things were flying through the air like we were in a tornado! We ended up getting on the ground behind a big dresser, fearing were going to be hit by something flying through the air. I have never seen anything like it. 

 I know others have done blog posts about their experience this weekend, so you may have already seen the photos. I cannot tell you how awful I feel for those that were outside vendors during the storm. If they didn't pack up before it hit, they lost everything. I was lucky enough to have a roof over my head, but the building I am in is the Arena Building (where they show animals at the fair), so it is really tall and has no sides. I had a front row seat of the carnage that took place this past weekend. 




It was so sad to see these nice people trying desperately to hold onto the legs of the tents while the 80mph winds whipped through their booth. It just wasn't enough. Totes full of merchandise were flying through the air like pieces of paper. I remember seeing lawn chairs made of logs being whipped around the ground like they were made of toothpicks. 

The water was coming so fast it was spraying out the sides of the gutters...my U-haul was in a lake after about 3 minutes. 



This is looking out the front of my booth. Looks like a beach, no??



I was just glad to hear everyone was safe. It was a very scary time, and I feel for all those that were devastated financially by this storm. I can't imagine losing everything, and for some...these shows are their way of living. 

I hope all my Chicagoland peeps will come out to the August show and show support to the vendors that work so hard to do what they love!