Monday, October 11, 2010

do you FREECYCLE???



Well, the weekend was pretty much a bust for me. I had such grand plans...the weather was going to be gorgeous...I was going to take in the Na-Da Barn sale and the apple orchard. Get a little yard work done on Sunday and try to scoop up some treasures at an auction.

But none of that happened.

(Ok, I guess I gotta confess...I need to ammend my previous statement. I didn't get to go to the auction I had dreamed about all week. I had to miss it. Along with a gorgeous dresser I had my eye on and about 1000 other things. But...I settled for a 3 minute stop at an auction I passed on the way home Sunday. But alas, all the goodies I wanted were at the very end and with bright sun and 86 degrees on a gorgeous fall Sunday, I was not waitin' around! So still, I consider the weekend a bust.)

As it always seems to happen, my plans came to a screeching halt when we got "the call". You know those calls...they usually come in the middle of the night and wake you out of a dead sleep. They are never, ever good news. I mean, does anyone ever call at 3am to say "Hey, you just won a million dollars!!". No, they are usually more along the lines of "someone is on their way to the hospital".

Of course, my call was the second one. My Mother-in-Law has Multiple Sclerosis, and she had a bad fall in the middle of the night. She was able to call for help, but it ended up she had 2 fractured vertebrae. Ouch. But she had a procedure that worked quite well, so she is home and feeling much better.

Today I am just out of it. I feel laaaaaazzzzzy. And that is so unlike me. It was a long weekend, to say the least. I am usually a go-go-go til midnight kind of girl.

So, I am cleaning to pass the time today. Deep cleaning. Closet by closet. Room by room. It is so liberating to get rid of "stuff". I am not a "stuff person"...so when I decide its gotta go...its gotta go now!

I just posted a few things on Freecycle, and it occured to me...I wonder if anyone in blogland does this, too?

Do you Freecycle?

Or have you even heard of it before??

Almost every city has a local chapter, you can find out by visiting their website...Freecycle.org.






I am always amazed how most people I mention it to give me this look like "what the heck is Freecycle???" so I thought I would share the love and tell you about it just in case you were one of those that just gave me the puzzled look with the head tilt that indicates you think I mean "recycle" instead of "freecycle". 

Freecycle is about find new homes for things...without sending them to a landfill. I give away the craziest things, and they always find a home. It takes minimal effort, I just post on the website what I am offering, and someone emails within minutes to say they would like it. Once I choose who it getting it, I give them my address and they come pick it up. It is out of my home and on to a new one! And to be honest, I usually leave it on my porch or in my driveway, and they pick it up before I even know it.  

So far today, I have given away 3 gallons of paint, a huge pile of wood scraps, 6 sweaters from last year, 2 purses and a bag of the lotions that come in perfume gift sets. Oh, and a garbage bag full of fabric scraps!

 Not bad for a couple hours of work. And the people that receive the items are usually so very grateful. Most are looking for things because they are out of work, or just can't afford things they don't "need" to buy. Some are crafters and like getting odds and ends for supplies, and I even have a local Playhouse that takes tons of stuff off my hands as we reno our house, like old doors, windows and paint. They use it for sets...it was so weird to go see My Fair Lady this summer and see our things up on stage!

Of course, I do give things to friends and family, and save some for our annual garage sale bash, too...but Freecycle is such a great way to go if you want something gone...pronto.

So, I just have to know...does anyone else out there Freecycle??

I just gotta know.


22 comments:

  1. yes! Indeedy! I also use the free section on Craig's list.

    Most of the "younger" generation knows freecycle. My son told me.

    Super info to share though.

    xxxx

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freecycle both ways - give and take! Most recently I gave away tons of plants that were overwhelming my yard - there's only so much splitting and replanting I can do. And I received the most gorgeous, huge, old old old, Audubon bird book with fantastic picture plates. I'd planned on cutting it up but now for framing.... I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of it, but I'm glad I know about it now. I usually donate to Salvation Army and orgs. like that.

    Thanks for the heads up! :) LindaSonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought i saw on twitter that you did go to the auction?
    I love freecycle...i just post..set it on the front stoop and away it goes.
    k-
    p.s. sorry to hear about your mil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup! I got lots of plants for our yard last Spring, gave away a gazillion daylilies, some broken up concrete, cat food when the cat ran away, and lots of other stuff. It's the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sad to hear about your mother in law. I will send prayers her way for a speedy recovery.

    I too give away and "shop" on the free section of Craigslist. Thanks for the Free-cycle tip. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that your MIL is doing much better, I hate those calls! My hubbys brother is quadriplegic and we get those calls quit often!
    I have heard of freecycle but have not used it. I am thinking that I should!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't freecycle anymore for this reason...my friend freecyled alot ...she told the person that no one would be home until after five p.m. when she got home from work.... but her daughter was home alone (teenager)..she didn't tell the person that, of course. Well, the person came to her house at 2:00 pm and knocked on the door...why?? who knows...do see if no one was actually home?? Anyway..it kind of scared me enough that I no longer want people coming to my home...so be careful. I give my stuff to the local thrift store now that used the money for scholarships for kids in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I didn't get the cubby, but Barb is a peach- you can send her an email and see if she still has it- same lady I had Layla call...No, he didn't get king...but it was allgood anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Freecycle...who'd a thunk it! Great idea and with a search I see there are some in my area. I never knew! I do have a tough time "throwing" things so usually donate to local thrift stores.

    Glad your late night call turned out ok. Have had way too many of those myself.

    Missy (SweetMelissa of JunkFest)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome, Mary! So much cool stuff is sent to the landfills....Ugh!!! I hope your week is so fantabulous that it makes up for your weekend. I'm praying for your mother-in-law...and your kitty!


    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are having a girlfriend grab bag party this weekend with sizes 0-20 Everyone can take whatever fits them and the rest will go to a Kansas City Woman's shelter.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, I Freecycle here in the UK! Funnily enough I'm collecting a DAB digital radio later on today from a freecycler, and tomorrow someone is coming to collect about 70 of my old Papercrafting magazines.

    Great system, and it saves landfill.

    Sending healing wishes to your MIL.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. ~**~Hi Mary~ so sorry to hear about your mother in law..is she ok? How scary. ~*On another note, Ive never heard about that site before but it sounds great!!Im off to check it out..HUGS~ Rachel ;)~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely Freecycle! It is the best way to get rid of stuff!! As I am a "get rid of stuff" kind of girl too!!
    Glad your mother in law is doing better...that is a scary thing when the phone rings like that! Hate that!
    Have a great week
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Freecycle in the Morris area, and I just love it! It's easier than dropping things off at Goodwill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I freecycle here in Middle TN. We are remodeling so I've given away doors, storm windows, chairs that I bought on Craigslist and decided I couldn't use, a little computer table, file cabinets, etc. One guy came and got our old washer and dryer and other metal items that DH didn't want to fool with. We haven't gotten much, but love to be able to give away what we can't use without sending to the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found out about it's existance here in the UK about three years ago, and have both given and collected. There has been a few hiccups here because they insist on using USA rules - some of which are a nonsense here, so there has been a 'breakaway' movement formed known as 'Freegle' which works in in much the same way. I'm a member of both groups :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never had luck but I think I need to try it more often. I'm sorry abobut your MIL...I hope she id doing better! Those calls are no fun, I'm so sorry. I hope your week gets better
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Freecycle is great and is widely used although from what you say there are still a lot of people yet to be switched on to it and similar reuse initiatives such as EcoBees. EcoBees is an interesting example as it has handy maps so you can see where all the free stuff is and rather than joining a local group or chapter you just define your 'radius of interest'! Worth a look if you are interested: http://www.EcoBees.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. sorry about your weekend. i hadn't heard of it before now but i'll be sure to check it out! susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mary (and everyone else),

    Yinyango (http://www.Yinyango.org) might also be of use to you folks who are looking to participate in local reusing. I just launched it yesterday. It's a site that has thousands of items available and doesn't require any signing up / membership to get started giving/receiving. Please check it out, and if you like it, I'd love if you would review it too! Thanks!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete