Tuesday, July 5, 2011

snippets from the flea market...



Whew! What a weekend it was! It was hot, hot, HOT here...and of course in the Midwest you can't be hot without being slapped with 90% humidity to add to it. But, despite all that it was a *fabulous* weekend selling at the flea. I was worried it would be slow since it was a Holiday weekend, but as always...my customers ROCKED! They came early, stayed long...and gave my furniture new, happy homes!

I just thought I would show you some snippets of what I brought to the show. Now, keep in mind the photos had to be taken in about 2.5 seconds before the crowds came running in the gate on Saturday. So they are not pretty, staged shots...just a "here it is so you can see that YES, I do actually paint furniture for a living. I- am-not-making-it-up-I-swear-kind-of-shots." Hee...hee!

I say that because I always laugh when someone is in my booth and they look at my business card...their head whips around and they say "YOU are Urban Farmgirl?"...I say "Yes"...and then they say "I read your blog, I had no idea you painted furniture and had a business." I am soooo bad, I know! I never, ever show before-and-after shots. I never, ever really talk about what I am doing for the biz. And the simple reason is this. I paint between 80-100 pieces every. single. month. There is just no time. By the time I find the pieces, prep them, paint & distress, put hardware on...in all honesty...I am pooped.  I am stressed. I wonder if I have lost my mind trying to do all this and blog too! I need a personal assistant. Anyone out there want to apply for the job? I will pay you in furniture. Haha!

Anyway, on with the show. Just a day in the life at a flea market with painted furniture. Most of what you are going to see it white. I do paint any color, I antique some pieces etc...but at this flea, my cusomters want white. So white is what I shall bring them!


This armoire is so huge...and awesome...and it found a new home in a nursery. I love being part of something like that. Makes me *smile...*






And this dresser?? Beyond awesome...why o why didn't someone take it home? It is just so pretty! A lot of people wanted it, but no one had a car big enough to haul her in. Sad.




And this little cabinet was one of my favs of the weekend. Pale gray...distressed to show the white underneath...and white painted checken wire. *sigh...* I miss her already. This one should have been a keeper. Oh well, maybe I will find another one someday.



This little gray desk was so much cuter in person, I didn't do her justice with my quick photo. She is so curvy and dainty...



and her drawer is lined in antique french books...




and then there was the barrel top desk...such a cool piece!



I always paint my cubbies inside. I just don't feel a piece finished unless all parts are painted. The little extra time it takes to do it is so worth it in the end. It would look funny when you roller her top back. Not an easy paint, but necessary in my eyes. And anyone at home that has one they want to paint...don't be scared. The cubbies come out, most are just held in my 2 little nails. Soooo much easier that way!

Oh, and I lined the pull-out tray with an antique map, too.



I love the curved top...




I brought frames, frames and more frames...big and small, simple and ornate...every singe one found a happy home!




I had quite a few ornate mirrors...



desks of all shapes and sizes...




and last...but not least...this antique french bed, which I just *loved*!! She found a home with a girl that I know is going to dress her up pretty with soft, flowing shabby chic bedding.

I hope she sends me a photo!



So there you have it. Little bits and pieces from my weekend. I hope you all had a safe & happy 4th! Mine was spent at home, relaxing and recovering!

Happy Tuesday, girls! Don't you love it when a Tuesday feels like a Monday? Ahhh....I {heart} long weekends!

44 comments:

  1. I love seeing your "secret life"! The furniture is fabulous, you do a wonderful job. wish i was close, I would have found a ton of things to take home. xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your furniture is so wonderful Mary!

    Wish I was closer so I could shop...xo kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're inspiring as always ...
    I'm hitting the shed hard today ...
    been playing hookie since the wedding ... no excuses now


    have a great summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...that's a lot of work, painting all those pieces. everything looks great! i am so glad i found your post and a photo of the curvy desk...i have the same one and iv'e been thinking of painting it, and now i know how it will look! thanks
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you did it.I hate the heat and with humidity forget it.I love all the frames as well as the lil rounded vanity~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I accept the job as assistant and the payment! Just kidding, I love seeing your set-up at the Flea! I have a really really similar desk that I painted white and distressed and use and LOVE! I love that "jelly bean" shape! :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! I love it all, but that bed would have been mine (or my dd's I should say!) Just beautiful, all of it....you're lucky to have such pretty furniture to work and do your magic on......I just don't see pieces like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it all. I miss the flea selling days. I took a cattle trailer of "new" stuff each month and some smalls. There was no etsy in those days.
    I LOVE the little antique dresser!!!Wish you would have been in tow for the auction. Maybe one of the next ones I am betting there will be 1 more barn one and 2 household. Fun fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful. One day I am going to drive the 6 hours from Missouri to visit you. I laugh at staged shots sometimes. If people could see me most days covered from head (hair) to toe..sometimes i paint barefoot--in paint. Sometimes I even go two days without showering if I have a ton of work going. Love the real you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sooooo love all your furniture, If I lived there I could've bought many pieces, I'm in love with the chicken wire cabinet. And what can I tell you about the frames, all are beautiful.
    Have a great day!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! I would have wanted to buy your entire display! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that roll top desk! And those frames!! So pretty <3

    Lauralee

    ReplyDelete
  13. mary you are amazing! i love all your pieces and those frames! i think you need to sell those on etsy my friend! take care, susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am applying for the personal assistant job. I would LoVe to be paid in furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Too.much.pretty.to.handle! Heehee! All your pieces are gorgeous, but I super duper love that bed with the cane detail. i love cane :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All gorgeous pieces. I like that you pay attention to the details. Inside is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mary....see you are keeping busy :)

    I'm looking for two nighstands in white - they don't have to be matching

    let me know okay?
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE YOUR STUFF! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If my math is correct, you are doing more than 2 pieces a day - that boggles my mind! No time to take pics & blog about them? I wonder why! Love each one of those sweet peices!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I lived closer! I would have bought that last dest for sure :))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love all your pieces! I just finished painting something too.. I don't know how you manage to paint so many pieces in such little time.. take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are fabulous!! Love love love... Wish I had the patience to paint furniture - and have it turn out this well!

    Adrienne @ MIDWESTERN BELLE

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! Great pics. I wish I could have bought everything on Saturday. Thanks for selling me the great coffee table with drawers. I love it. Click on my blog link to see it in my family room :) Not only do I love it but my 17 month old thinks it's a toy for him to climb on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, you are awesome! You find and makeover the best pieces! If I make it to a flea before the season is over, I'll stop by to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your furniture!!!! Please come to Kansas!:)
    Mrs. B.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely adore every piece of furniture and I found myself thinking I have a spot in my home for every single piece =) Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Consider this my application...I'll be your flunky. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bonsoir! Just dropping by via 1942 Charm. I love everything you posted about. Wish I had a huge moving van! Hope you have a lovely rest of the week. Au Revoir ~ Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have NEVER seen a flea market with such beautiful pieces like you offer! They wouldn't be able to keep me away!! Beautiful work and I really love the small details that you take the time and effort to add. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  30. it all looks so pretty and amazing! LOVE that bed!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Everything looks so great. You do an amazing job! I loved all of the desks you had pictures of, but especially the rolltop one!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So many beautiful treasures so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mary, what kind of paint sprayer do you use. I have a huge house with ugly walls, furniture and bi-fold doors to paint... I want a sprayer!! Thank, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  34. Pending relocation I would absolutely love to be become your personal assistant. Payment in furniture greatly appreciated. Come August I'll be the proud recipient of BS of psychology. Seriously I need a job! Lets have our people talk and see what can be arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh it all looks great but I especially like that desk. I agree you do such an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You have inspired me to makeover my husband's childhood dresser. It doesn't have any of the details that your pieces have - but a new look is needed. Any tips on creating these wonderful pieces?? ...Katie...

    ReplyDelete
  37. So stunning. So beautiful. So classic. So AMAZING! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Okay...if I lived by you...I'd for sure be broke...I love all the pieces...especially the little gray cabinet with the chicken wire...I could've so used that in the bathroom I just finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love it all! What flea do you set up at? I'm local and would love to shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Mary! Glad you left me a comment. Now that I'm looking at your photos, I think I walked in front of your booth while I was taking a break from our area. Your pieces are gorgeous! And your blog is gorgeous! Wow - I love your projects. Wish I could help with rug issue but I don't know anything about that brand. We have hardwood, kids and dogs so I don't have many rugs. Looking forward to the next Kane show. Will try to get over and say hello. Stop by if you can (poultry bldg).

    Have a lovely weekend. Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  41. That bed is AWESOME!!! I always wanted a bed like that when I was a little girl!! Maybe I'll find one someday...

    :) I LOVE all your pieces!!
    Camille
    snipssnailsandspice@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. you have THE BEST booth at kane county!!! :)

    ReplyDelete