Friday, October 14, 2011

let's talk halloween...





Every year the hubs and I organize our part of a Halloween event at our local museum.

It is SO. MUCH. FUN!


(I love seeing my 6'3" hubs wearing a mask that makes him yet 4" taller towering over the kiddos...they LOVE it!)


It gives our city's kids a safe and unique place to come out all dressed up and trick-or-treat. Behind the museum's main building is a town...a general store, an old hotel, a white clap-board church, a firehouse, a big barn. There are quite a few buildings and businesses, and they make up the most charming "Little House on the Prairie" type town. Each a historic building that has been moved from its original location to the Museum's ground. 




 A local business signs up to sponsor one of the buildings. They employees volunteer to decorate their building, they dress up in costume and  hand out candy to the kids. There are other events too, bobbing for apples, hayrides...the usual old-fashioned style fall party.


Last year my hubs was Frankenstein and I was Red Riding Hood.

(I never realized this until I uploaded this photo on the blog...there is a mini Red Riding Hood behind my hubs - so cute!!)

Oh, and just so you know...I cannot be held responsible for what looks like huge 1980's bangs piled high on my head.

I blame the hood.

I swear I don't walk through my normal life like that.

Anyway, I need help. Ideas. Creativity.

What should I go as this year?? Do I give Red Riding Hood one more run before I retire the outfit, or should I try something new?

Any ideas from all you creative ladies out there??

Oh, and for any of you in the Northern Illinois area, this event is soooo worth the trip out! It takes place at the Midway Village Museum in Rockford, IL next Friday October 22nd from 2-8pm. You can find me in the Police Station handing out goodies all day!







23 comments:

  1. Mary...you look darling as Little Red Riding Hood, even the bangs are cute!! And hubs looks great as Frankenstein! This looks like so much fun!! Have a great time this year and good luck with your costume!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool little setting for some trick o' treating. The red riding hood costume is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks like such a special and fun event! and i think you could definitely make use out of that costume again- it's so cute on you, even with the 80's bangs. ;) kidding! it really is adorable on you. you could also remove the cape and go as st pauli girl. ;) really though, you could remove the cape and add some viking headgear or change it to pirate-y using the same dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should definetely retire the costume and send it to me?! My husband dresses up every year in a dalmation suit that is getting very tired. This will be it's 13th year. I've always been slightly (or more) embarrased that he wears it until we moved to our Village where it seems almost all of the adults dress up. I've been considering Little Red Riding Hood because it seems so perfect for our town but my other idea is for us to be Cindy Lou Who and the Grinch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Your museum town is perfect! It actually reminds me of our village!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! It looks like a wonderful place for Trick or Treating! Your costumes are awesome and your bangs look adorable! I agree with Cassie, you could revamp your Red Riding Hood outfit and turn it into a pirate costume? Can't wait to see what you come up with this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LoVe your pics Mary!!! and... YOU look FaB as Red Riding Hood - "bangs and all"...
    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary,
    What a great event! Sounds like so much fun!
    Love your's and your hub's costumes from last year... great pic of the two of you!! :)
    Good luck choosing your costume for this year.
    Happy fall!
    ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That museum looks great! And I do believe you should be Red Riding Hood again...you look so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wanted to dress up with my husband as Fred and Wilma Flinstone! I could never get him to go for that though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's cute and sweet yet adult all at the same time. I'd keep it. andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cute, "Red"! i did not even notice the bangs...too funny ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are adorable as little Red Riding Hood! I just saw a picture of Mary Poppins and think you would look great as her too. Hubby could be Bert the chimney sweep, if you wanted to coordinate. Although, that's not as scary as Frankenstein. Have fun! Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you posted about this...I'm definitely going to try and check this out. It looks so festive and fun! What an ADORABLE set up! My kids.... I mean... my dragon, dinosaur and transformer will love it!
    Love the Red Riding costume....super cute!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love it when these towns go all out and decorate and celebrate. I love the town picture and think you and hubbs look adorable from last year. Great job. Can't wait to see what you do this year. Be sure to get us some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You two look amazing! I miss that place, what a great place for a Halloween Party! Wish I could come back!

    How about Tippy Hedron from Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds"! Wear a suit and attach crows all over you, with red food gel coming down your face!

    Maybe your husband could be Mr. Hitchcock, lol!

    Have a great time! And take plenty of pics!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look terrific. What a wonderful event!! Can't wait to see what you decide.
    xo,
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  18. you look so cute! I saw a hysterical Mr Potato Head costume today! I say stick with the Red Riding Hood. The girls and I are going pranking Sat nite. I can hardly wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey you!

    I never received your email...I sent you a convo through etsy a couple weeks ago though...and I called you on your cell today. Man...your one hard girl to find ;o)

    Miss ya!
    Dude

    ReplyDelete
  20. Try a dutch kostuum!!
    Greetz from Holland :)

    Happy Halloween

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seems to be a lot of fun in your town on Halloween. Would like to be there and to join you. Unfortunately, I am living in Germany and here, only children go out for trick or treats! Have much fun this year! (I am curious about your costume, let's have pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a wonderful time! Lovely pictures! And I really like your husbands costume :´)

    ReplyDelete