Thursday, May 31, 2012

american pickers - nashville style




When I took my trip to Nashville earlier this year, I made it a point to see the newly opened Antique Archaeology store owned by Frank and Mike of the TV show fame "American Pickers" on the History Channel. 

Last time I did a post on American Pickers, many of you commented you were not sure who they were, or had not seen the show...so let me give you a quick synopsis of Frank and Mike and what they do. 

Two guys. From small town Iowa. They travel around the country looking for what they call 'rusty gold'. Forgotten, cool old things they find by randomly (and sometimes not so randomly) stopping at houses and farms and buying the items from the owners. They sell these things to private collectors, online and in their shops, both in Iowa and now Nashville. This all started because Mike was posting videos of their 'picking adventures' on You-Tube years ago. Fast forward to today...and they have a hit TV show on the History channel. 

Boom. There you have it.

Amazing, isn't it??



My sister happens to live near them in Iowa...and I had a technician at my home last week trying to fix an internet problem, and somehow we got on the subject of the show and it turned out he was very good friends with Mike. They have known each other for many years, apparently they used to be in bike racing competitions together. (that explains Mike's love for bicycles that comes out on just about every episode!) Small world, no?? That conversation reminded me I had never posted the pics from there new store in Nashville...so here we are! 

It was dusk in early March when we were there, so I apologize my pics are a little dark. The building they are in just so awesome, I had to show you at least part of it! 

It is a huge industrial warehouse right off the freeway that runs through Nashville. It is an old motorcycle factory. Again, very fitting for these two since they constantly talk about their love for old motorcycles. This was a match made in heaven when they were looking for shop space in the Nashville area!





The moment I walked in the front door, you notice so many things for sale they have 'picked' on the show. I remember this red arrow from a very early episode....looooove it!




And the giant pig head?? How can you forget Frank putting that on and doing a little dance?







Signs...signs...everywhere a sign. They had some really cool ones!




I loved the 'feel' to the store. Exposed brick, wood floors, and I am a girl that loves an exposed beam ceiling, I tell ya! I was smitten with the 'industrial' feel their shop has. 







See the large sign of the woman in a swimsuit??...it was soooo pretty in person! The background was a faded, pale light blue and she was water-skiing. I remember that one from the show and fell in love with it  then, I so wanted to take it home. Wouldn't it be fabulous in a beach house?? I think it might have advertised a beach...super cool. I loved it.  




They had quite a few little cabinets with drawers...




But this one stopped me in my tracks. HUGE. Aqua. Chippy. 72 drawers. 

72 DRAWERS!!!!

{wow...}


{sigh...}



This was up by the checkout. That large sign against the back wall that says ENTRANCE WELCOME TO GILLEY'S...that was from the episode when they visited old-school country singer Mickey Gilley's house. He used to own a 'roadhouse' that was very famous, called Gilleys in Texas. This was the sign off the building. Super cool. 




But even more than the history of that huge sign, I loved the photo booth. And yes, it works!! 

Again, loved it. 




If you are ever in Nashville, the shop is so worth a visit. Honestly, there really wasn't anything I could buy. The prices were very high. I talked to the manager of the store for quite a while. She told me if anything comes in that is under $500 it is gone pretty much the same day. The rest are high dollar items, I would imagine they keep it that way for display purposed. It was fun to recognize things from the show, and remember where they came from. 

They have live music on the weekends...and have a lot of t-shirts for sale! Oh. and if you ask, they have a pre-printed list behind the counter they will give you, outlining the best antique shops to visit in the Nashville area. 

I am curious, has anyone else been to their shop...either in Iowa or Tennessee? I would love to know what you thought!




49 comments:

  1. Oh I dream of going there someday. I love their show.. Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures. Now in someway I can say I know someone that has been there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I've been to their shop in Iowa a couple times, I grew up in Iowa near LeClaire, I moved to the big city of Chicago, any way still an Iowa girl at heart! The original store is really fun too lots of "picks" from their show, and Danielle has opened her own store across the street! Unfortunately they are not at the store but its definitely worth the stop and the town is full of great antique stores and shops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from central Iowa, have a sister that lives across the river from LeClaire in Port Byron, but have yet to visit. Whenever I'm over there, I'm busy with my niece and 3 nephews! But, one of these visits, I will head east earlier in the day, just so I can visit the store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new store - thanks for the pics! I visited the Iowa store, ( and did a blog post on May 4th). The only thing I bought was a t-shirt- which was mostly what they had for sale there. There are some nice shops just down the street from them.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad their prices are so high. looks like great things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right...prices are way to high....even in the Nashville store...

      Delete
  6. that is an awesome shop. wow. i too recognize quite a few pieces. i figured it was top dollar. it's fun to look though. i have your prints mary. are you going to be at kane this weekend? i will try and get there at some point to give them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love American Pickers! The shop looks awesome! I would want everything but probably could afford none!

    Mary Ellen
    The Working Home Keeper

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So cool! That is my my hubby's favorite show! What an amazing looking shop. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We stopped by their store in Iowa back in November and Mike was there! People were lined up to see him and have their picture taken with him. I asked my husband if he wanted to meet him and he said "no", so we just looked from afar and wandered around the store. Still fun and we took our pictures out front with the old car! Worth the visit - and we do enjoy the show!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We stopped by their store in Iowa back in November and Mike was there! People were lined up to see him and have their picture taken with him. I asked my husband if he wanted to meet him and he said "no", so we just looked from afar and wandered around the store. Still fun and we took our pictures out front with the old car! Worth the visit - and we do enjoy the show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been to either of the shops but watch the show . . . Where in Iowa? The Nashville store looks like a REALLY fun visit. I would totally love browsing here . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great place to visit. I've heard of the show but have never been able to watch it. Thanks for sharing. One more thing for the bucket list.
    Cheers!
    Miss Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE THAT SHOW and I LOVE THIS SHOP! Doubt I will ever get down there to see it in person, but am thoroughly enjoying the virtual trip - THANKS. I really like all the dusty industrial display units as well as the metal advertising signs...which is classic PICKERS fare. Hey, there is a cool shop locally (well sort of locally depending on where you are) that is cool like this, but perhaps a little more ivy league. IF you are ever in Forest Park check it out....www.yearbookstudios.com. I was there a couple of weeks ago and was just melting with desire for all the neat things there.
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live only 45 min. from the Nashville one and had totally forgotten about it...
    thanks for the reminder! I'll take my camera when I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we must meet up some day....I'm IN Nashville and go pickin' regularly....

      Delete
  15. Had no idea that there was a shop here in Iowa...will have to google how far a drive that is for me :) I bet it would be well worth my time! When you visit your sister, do you ever visit the Des Moines area? There is a shop downtown named West End Architectural Salvage that I bet you would just drool over!! I love it!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  16. my kids and i LOVE that show...and my parents live in franklin...soooooo....when i go visit them this summer, guess where i am going? my 5 yr. old son requested it! ha! the nashville flea market is totally awesome too....have you been there? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm IN Nashville and yes...I go to the flea market...had a booth or two sometimes...such fun...

      Delete
  17. I still haven't been there OR seen the show. But I am with you on the beach-y sign and the aqua drawers! I need to find stuff like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband and I love their show. There is a Canadian Pickers, but the two guys don't have the same charisma as Mike & Frank. They (CP) did come to our town once, so that's pretty cool. The store is awesome, if I ever make it to Nashville I am definitely going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I live in Australia, and my husband and I watch this show every week, its about all I watch actually on the box.....I do farm sales and auctions in the country areas, but we have none of the drive up and pick opportunities that you guys have in America, I guess we are a young country, but we are always so amazed at the huge amount of things that people have accumulated over the years, its just extraordinary, Im gonna send your post to my husband now, he would love to see inside the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm actually from smalltown LeClaire, Iowa. My husband & I just returned to our hometown & bought a house that is about two blocks from their LeClaire shop that we are renovating. I'll have to do a blog post about their shop soon. I'v met Mike a couple times & used to work with Danielle in a past job. I just love smalltown living. The past several years the History channel has had a Pickers Weekend in LeClaire that my brother, a local shop owner, helped coordinate. Tons of fun! Not sure they are doing it again this year. LeClaire is a great weekend getaway. I would highly recommend it. Stop in Dwellings if you visit:) If anyone visits let me know & I could give you some of the local hot spots for bargain junk & antiques.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! I see the show all the time and visit Nashille to see my kids once a month. Gotta find this place! Where is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12th Ave South,...just off the Interstate I-40 near downtown and Charlotte Ave....

      Delete
  22. I visited the Nashville store in April. It was on a Saturday and the live music was really good! It was very busy and alot of people were hanging out in the center on the chairs. Frank's dad even came in! We came in a back way, past seemily vacant buildings with razor wire around them-we were feeling less than optimistic about the place until we saw it! So glad we went.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I definitely want to check out the Nashville store if I ever get time. I get why they choose the building but it sure is in a crappy area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the area has character in it's buildings and it's a new venue for fun, food and music....

      Delete
  24. My husband loves that show! I have family in Nashville and will definitely be visiting if we ever go visit. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I watch the show all the time but have never been to either store
    thanks so much for letting us see what the Nashville shop looks like and the prices, I wonder what those old leather jackets are price wise $1000. ???

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post! That photo booth is from Jack White's (from The White Stripes) studio. They really find some great stuff, and since they have the show, people will pay more for the items they find. I suspect that they charged less before the show took off. I don't blame them, I would charge that much if I could! Ace of Cakes was filmed in Baltimore, and before the show became a hit, their cakes were reasonably priced. When it picked up, they wouldn't do a cake under $1000. The popularity is fleeting, I guess they need to strike while the iron is hot. Did you buy anything?

    Terry

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CityFarmhouseAntique
    Charm City Farmhouse and Antiques

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my gosh, i watch the show all the time, love it! that building is awesome, exactly what i dream about owning! if i ever get to nashville i'll be sure to put it on my list! great pics mary, thank you for sharing them! i so wish we lived near each other, we have so much in common! have a great weekend! susan

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for taking us with you to Mike & Frank's new Shop! I Love the Vintage Industrial Vibe and Styling of that awesome Historic Building too! I Love the Show but always think the prices are higher than they would be out here in Arizona... perhaps East Coast price points are way different, I dunno? But definitely worth going to just for the experience even if you leave empty handed... well, maybe with a T-Shirt... *LOL*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow they've gotten a bunch of new stuff in since I was last there! I'm sad to say that even though I've lived in Nashville my whole life (until this last year, where I moved to London), I only visited once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. only visited once....like the Grand Ole Opry...lol....only once...

      Delete
  30. What a great shop...that swimsuit sign looks amazing. Hope you've been good...I'm home Tuesday and Thursday...maybe we can talk ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  31. WE just don't have anything quite as cool as that in the Seattle area.... love that show!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Our son visited the Iowa store. He's 27 and was impressed. Of course he's a motorcycle nut too! I'm planning a trip to Nashville this fall. I will definitely check out the new store. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ohhhh! I had no idea they had a store in Nashville. I will plan to stop in on our next trip through the city. Fun show!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love those guys...I live in Iowa, just about 60 miles from them. My best friend in Bettendorf drinks beer with Frank and Mike in the summertime at one of their favorite bars. I have yet to go with them :)
    Love the post, thanks so much for sharing,
    Amy (Mom to the Four Sisters)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I enjoy this show alot , but do these guys ever think about how much they waste on travel expense alone? This review seems to point that out pretty well:

    http://practicalfrugalliving.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/program-review-american-pickers-hardly-a-model-of-frugality/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, but the History Channel foots the bill for their travels...and they find their picks too....

      Delete
  36. My wife and I have been to both stores and met Lauren in Nashville...my wife is currently working in cedar rapids and we are like 1 hour from the Iowa store where we have been twice already...and darn it..twice we have missed Frank and or Mike...but so sad danielle left cause of a stalker..why do people have to do that? ...but I enjoyed both stores and will visit in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice pictures and interesting blog if you want to buy gold Nashville then kindly call us on and please visit

    ReplyDelete
  38. saat ini masyarakat kita semakin banyak orang yang memilih untuk sendiri atau kebanyakan kasus terpaksa untuk menyendiri karena Keadaan ini mendorong mereka untuk mencari cara-cara alternatif menangani dorongan seksual pada dirinya, Untuk itu kami hadir menawarkan alat bantu sex wanita yang bisa menjadi alternatif pilihan dalam memuaskan dorongan seksual tersebut.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Homes for sale and home listings near your area.
    Find your perfect property advertised by owner and real estate agent.
    More details postallads4free.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. the show and the people on it are a joke.... wake up America !!!!!

    ReplyDelete