Tuesday, June 5, 2012

my weekend at the flea...



I wanted to get a post up about the flea market yesterday, but I was wiped out! To say the weekend was amazing, would be a total understatement. It was AWESOME!!!!!! I have been selling at this flea for 6 years, and this was the busiest weekend I have seen in a looong time! The girls that work in the market office said it was record attendance for the past 30 years! What I love most about that little statistic is that it reflects how many people in this big crazy world are embracing shopping somewhere that is an alternative  to a big box store. They are supporting individuals and small business. Buying vintage and being so darn excited about it!

That is just so cool.

Anyway, on with the show...thought I would show you some of the things I brought with me to the show this month...things were starting to get picked over before I could grab my camera, so I apologize everything is not so pretty at this point!












I did something I have never done at this flea before...I brought a few 'smalls' to sell as well...this photo is a bit of a mess, but someone had just dismantled my display to buy a few of the larger display pieces. 

I think I am going to do this again next month, too! It was fun just having one table of smaller things! Feeds my need to hunt for those when it is not the season for my Etsy shop to be open!


And after it was all said and done...here is the booth at the end of the day. Rather sad looking isn't it? Even that one lonely dresser had a sold tag on it and was just patiently waiting for it's new owners to pick it up. 

(taken on my iPhone, sorry its so fuzzy!)

As much as I love creating, and painting and giving new life to old furniture. One thing I love, love, LOVE about selling at a flea is meeting the faces that ready my blog! I will never forget these two gorgeous girls and how they so cutely asked 'are you Urban Famgirl'? They were so excited when I said yes. I mean seriously?!! These 2 beautiful young things read my lil 'ol blog??? Well, maybe they don't, but I know one of their Moms does! (Hi, Mom!)

Totally made my day. They were just so bubbly and cute and full of excitement! 



Moments like this make me feel eternally grateful for this crazy life I have. It is simply because of the support I receive from people willing to buy something that is not from a 'box store' I am able to do what I love! Thanks to these two girls I will be feeling warm and fuzzy about that thought for quite a while. 

Happy, Tuesday...I am off to pick up a dresser in Wisconsin for my guest room today! It is the perfect shade of blue, old and chippy paint! 




27 comments:

  1. can't wait to see the dresser Mary, and you are so right about the box stores - your items are WAY cooler :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOLD OUT!! Wow!! I am impressed :) And, I can't wait to see your new chippiness that you are bringing home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be alot of work transporting all those big beautiful pieces of furniture. So glad it was fun. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, you are SO RIGHT!! That is the hardest part of what I do...having a shop where it could all stay put would be so much easier!! It takes a small army of people to help me make this happen each month! Lol!

      Delete
  4. Hi there, Just wanted to let you know that the next Kane County Flea market is June 30th and July 1st not July 7th and 8th. Kind of confusing when the preceeding Saturday falls in a different month. I'm a dealer out there and I follow your Blog. Love all of your stuff! Take care.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! And I was telling all my customers this weekend to be sure to remember it was the 30th and the 1st! Ha! I did that sidebar so long ago, I don't think I had even seen the Kane calendar yet. All fixed...thank you SO MUCH for reminding me! ;o)

      Delete
  5. Now that is a great space...sold out!! That is the way you want it!!
    Beautiful treasures!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. How incredible! Sold out - good for you! I cannot tell you how much I love your style - your furniture and your smalls. It's all lovely, just as you are! Thank you for sharing. And no more talking about MY energy level, Mary. You are the energizer bunny :-) XO Laura at The Ironstone Nest

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have amazing things not surprised it is all gone.Isn't that a good feeling too.After all your hard work to sell out :-) How cool to meet people that follow your blog too.Sounds like a great day!
    ((((((Hugs))))))
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just so cool that your booth empties out like that! WooHoo! I can certainly see why - your stuff is just beautiful :) have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so fun out there!! So happy for you and your success, but seriously, who would be suprised? You are super talented =) Wishing you a lovely week, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello! your booth looks great, how wonderful that people come out to see you. that is very cool indeed! susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is just wonderful! Did you really sell out all of your wares? I think that is just fantastic. Very interesting statistic that this last weekend had such high numbers at the Kane County Flea Market, so sorry I missed it! It was a beautiful weekend for selling outdoors, that is for sure. Your addition of smalls was very well done and I am sure it accented your space beautifully.
    jen from fineline-antiques.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! I'll probably have dreams about wishing I was there!! What a talented and ambitious girl you are!! That looks like a thrill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't tell you how much I would LOVE one of those old dressers for my Ava's room someday... I hate that you live so far away!! :) Everything you do is lovely!!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband and I went for the first time to Kane County! We loved it...we couldn't believe how many people were there! That is fantastic! Your booth was beautiful...was hoping to introduce myself as a reader of your blog but you were pretty busy! :) Glad you had such a great day!! We will be back!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dresser that didn't get picked up??? That's just what I'm looking for!!!! Shoot! Guess it's a little far to pick up, but that's what I'm hoping for. Your booth was lovely! I so love all of your furniture! It's beautiful!
    Was at the Farm Chicks show this weekend...you would be perfect for that show...just sayin'!!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow...look at that empty booth! that is crazy...good for you!!
    i see you brought some smalls :)
    loved all the beds i saw in the pics!
    um, those girls are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an inspiration you are. I am attempting my first show in 2 weeks and I can only pray I will be half that lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  18. of course young people love your blog! you are the BOMB! (dot com) :) that "market" sign you had pictured is to die for...did you find it or make it that way?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could have re-decorated half my house! I will take two of those beds, several dressers, mirrors, and a hutch! So sad I live so far away. :)
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love everyone of your pieces. And you sold everything?! go you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You ROCK Mary!! And your booth looked fabulous! How nice was it not to have to lug anything home with you?!

    Rachel
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was CRAZY busy- I had about 10 smalls left- incredible. We are gathering for next month already. Wish we could of broken free to come see you but WOWSA!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that empty space of yours is a beautiful sight! And no surprise, either. :-)

    XO,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, all that white furniture... amazingly gorgeous. I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on that empty space my friend...way to go!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete