Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I will no longer be anti-social...



I am so happy I did my last post on your opinion of 'social-networking'!

You girls lets is all out, and I am sooooo grateful!



First...lets talk Facebook.

The overwhelming majority of you thought Facebook was the way to go for my business, and I can't agree more! Althought I admit, it is another thing on the 'to-do' list...but I think it will actually make my life easier. It can condense 30 or 40 pre-show emails regarding what I will be bringing to that show, down to once nice and neat place where my clients can visit to see the lastest and greatest in my painted furniture. Call me crazy, but that seems so much easier than returning all those individual emalis and phone calls. Not that I don't want to be more personally in touch with my clients, but I simply don't have the time a week before a show. Usually I can be found in total freak-out mode trying to get 100 pieces of furniture prettied and ready for sale and all packed in a couple of really big moving trucks.

So coming soon to a blog near you...the Urban Farmgirl Facebook page.

Ok, who out there has a business page and wants to answer a few questions on setting one up?? Raise your hand...or just email me. I will be eternally grateful for some first-hand info!



Now on to the subject of Twitter.

The results for this one were not so surprising to me. Just as many of you that loved Facebook, REALLY dislike Twitter. And I totally get it. I have been on Twitter for a little while now, and I read sometimes...but hardly ever post. I just can't get the feel for it. On one hand, it does allow my customers and readers to get to know me on a personal level, and once in a while there is something in my day that just seems way to ridiculous and hilarious to not let the world know...but in the big picture...I will not be announcing on Twitter where I am eating lunch or the fact that I am shopping at Target for the 8,167th time that week. Simply stated...it is just not me.

So, the verdict here is that I will maintain my Twitter account, which is UrbanFarmgirlCo for those of you that want to follow along. I will post when I am featured in an Etsy treasury, or when I just feel I have something to say. I admit, once in a while when I am out junking I find that piece that makes the Heavens part and angels sing, and I just gotta let someone know about it! During Flea season, I will post a few photos of some extra-fabulous furniture pieces before the gates open, so customers can get a quick preview. Will this make the stampede worse or better when the gates fling open? I am not sure, but at least it will satisfy the curiosity of whats going on behind the gates and what I have to offer when they run in! But I will not be a slave to the Twitter button on my phone. That's just not how I roll.


via

Now, on to more exciting things!

(oh, and the photos have absolultely nothing to do with this post...I just thought they were so beautiful and I am totally spring-obsessed at the moment)

- I am writing a post for a FABULOUS giveaway starting tomorrow!!

- Remember the Urban Plains guest room project?? Well, it has officially started, and I have a barn going up in my guest room today. Yes, a BARN. And its not what you are probably thinking...it does not involve barn siding. It is something else that is going to be spectacular...I hope. Stay tuned for details.

- Regarding the delay on the "Urban Plains" project...I have EXCITING NEWS!!! But, I can't share just yet. Soon, very soon...within the next 2 weeks. I will let you know why the project didn't happen when we first posted about it. Ooooh...I am about to bust and spill the beans, so I better sign off now.

Happy Wednesday, girls!

34 comments:

  1. Good Morning!
    I don't facebook or twitter so I'll have to catch up on urbanfarmgirl news right here on the old blog! :)
    I am dying to see your guest room and what you and Andrea have planned...between the two of you, it will no doubt be unbelievably beautiful! I can't wait to see more of your home. :)
    I'm having lunch with andrea today so maybe she'll spill the beans!
    Happy Spring ~ you'd think it would hurry up and get here since we're all wishing so hard for it!
    Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are coming around to the social networking world:) You will see once you get it rollin' that it really isn't all the time consuming. You can connect your twitter account to your FB so that it updates both status' at once. I do know what you meant though, when I had my business OFF THE WALL HOME blog a couple years ago (pre-baby life) I did feel it was all consuming me. Now that I have started blogging again, my perspective has changed. I will not let it overwhelm me so much to when I feel like I HAVE to blog, or tweet or FB.
    BTW- you should add a little twitter button in your sidebar so we can all follow you easily!!!!:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to see what you have planned. I just share on FB what I blog about, you can set it up to automatically feed to that page and click on share and two birds with one stone. I really don't see a need for there to be separate content as your blog readers would also love to see finished furniture pieces.
    Looking forward to what you are working on.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh...you make this all sound so exciting...oh yeah...it is...cuz I know the secret...hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on Twitter however I don't use it very much (should) Facebook is great. my regret is not starting a business page, now I will need to convert over soon because I do have almost 1800 followers.

    Do come and enter my Artful Offering!It is truly beautiful!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your barn room! I am on FB but really because I've had fun connecting with HS friends. I don't live on it like some. I have Twitter and really only to retweet if there is a giveaway! I just don't really get why people feel the need to tell the world they had a great workout or that they are giving up FB for Lent! How about read a book people?

    So did you drive by my old homestead? Is is a shack?

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have also been thinking of doing a business page on FB. Hopefully I will be better at keeping it updated than I do with my personal FB. Your pictures are gorgeous and I can't wait to hear your exciting news.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're becoming more "social". Can't wait for to hear what's next!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spill it come on... oh well I'll be here on pins and needles til you do. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary,
    I don't use facebook or twitter, but reading your findings about facebook makes me wonder weather or not I should join too.
    Can't wait what the news is, enjoy your day!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos!!!! I'm excited to hear about all the projects you have in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see you over on FB. I have my own page there that I started about 3 days after my blog. I am finding it difficult to get the word out to people (Friends Suggestions). May just be my experience though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the pics Mary and I can't wait to hear your exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, I am creating a business page for Bringing Pretty Back ... as we speak! I do have a twitter account . I can not wait to hear your exciting news!!!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm on FB, but I don't do twitter...I just don't get it. So excited for your big news :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diane Passi- a dealer at Kane- posts pictures of her finds on Facebook and I know she sells a lot that way. So, you might have to decide if you want to pre-sell/hold or if you do what we do and just say- 1st one in the booth with their hand on it wins! One one small tug of war in 6 years...seriously. I will call you next week. Working on a new blog face and need advice...

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've made me curious now. I'll be following.
    Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My business (Leola's Vintage Home & Garden) is on fb & we're amazed at how many people ck. in with us regularly. We have several women in the shop & 5 of us take pics & post. Much easier then blogging & it reaches far more people. Sorry, but I wasn't the one who set it up but I'm guessin' it's much like your personal acct. Good luck! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. glad you are going for the business FB page...i bet it will be a great thing!

    looking forward to all your upcoming announcements too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with your new venture!

    Looking forward to hearing your news too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are such an awful tease for sure!! Now I can't wait to hear the news...darn it. I know..I have to wait! Drats!!
    Guess I should do more with my business page on FB. I used to post regularly but I don't. My bad!!
    Looking forward to seeing your projects!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thought of you when I made this farm house shelf,go check it out.Sara

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a facebook girl :)
    So glad you will be jumping on the wagon.
    Sorry to hear you still are not 100%, this is horrible :( Hang in there! Get well
    Love
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  24. how fun i love good news!! i think you made a good decision i'm sure facebook will be good for you. i may even decide to join you someday! susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey sweet girl, how are you?
    there's a down side to just about everything, and everything does take time ... no matter what it is.

    you can do what ever you set your mind to!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can't wait to see that barn in your guest room!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i'd be happy to answer any questions or help with your facebook page! feel free to contact me via my etsy shop with any questions!

    www.barnowlprimitives.etsy.com

    www.facebook.com/barnowlprimitives

    and of course, from on "Barn" to another ~ i cannot wait to see the guest room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh I love this. That table setting is so dreamy, so pretty!! As you blog too!


    Pearl

    Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mary...You are tocute! I love the post and well although I have a business page on facebook...I am the worlds worst on techical stuff! Just started to follow your blog an lookforward to visiting often! I hope to get a chance to visit with you at Kane County too! I'll e-mail you soon! And hey please share when you get the how to facebook thingy...see I am much better with a needle and thread than a mouse and a computer!

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi cutie!
    i think the fb plan will be fantastic exposure!
    i am terrible with twitter. i forget to check it...but i love it when i am on there

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh... I'm intrigued... I just found your blog! Off to read more! Have a great weekend...-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am in love with your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE those images you used!!;) and thanks so much for your sweet comment on my post today!! Hugs,Rachel

    French Farmhouse 425

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm late to the party (just found your awesome blog)! I am a marketing consultant and would really recommend creating a page. The key is keeping it current. Photos of merchandise are great. You can link to Etsy as well. Facebook also has 3rd party e-commerce applications that could allow you to sell certain things right from your page. There are some great articles about adapting social media for your business here: http://mashable.com/social-media/ and I'd be happy to help you with questions.

    ReplyDelete