Sunday, January 29, 2012

why I've been MIA...




Whew! What a CRAZY couple of weeks!

I have been working an absolutely insane amount of hours on the little house the hubs and I gave CPR to and put up for sale. (I decided I dislike the term "flipping a house") I think in the last 11 days, I worked a minimum of 13 hours each day at this house.  That would be my excuse for not getting a blog post up for...well...forever. For some reason I decided this house needed to go up for sale this week, so there was this huge push to get it done. My hubs was working all week, so it was kinda all up to me. What was I thinking? I can tell you what I am thinking now...Calgon, take me away! (someone please tell me they remember that commercial!)

Here is a "progress" photo. My hubs thought he was helping me out with the "staging' today. I walked in the bathroom, and he had hung the shower curtain and a couple towels. He is so cute...but he better not quit his day job. I had to kinda change it up, but lets not tell him, ok? I don't want to hurt his feelings. You know how guys are, they do one little thing and want a round of applause for it. {hee...hee...} Although I did think it was cute when I saw he had folded the toilet paper end like they do in hotels. 

I will try to get a photo of the {correctly} staged bathroom this week if I have time. I didn't plan on showing you these photos, I took these just as a reference for us to use on the next house, but then I decided what the heck! I will throw a little reality at you tonight and you can see it in the "during" stage. 




Here is what we had to start with. 

Yikes. 



It hurts my eyes to even look at it! I had forgotten how bad it was until I uploaded these photos tonight. Wow. What was I thinking when I signed on for this project?

Who ever decided "flesh" was a good shade for toilets, sinks and tubs?

And you just have to loooove that space-age vanity cabinet. All metal, baby!




This is a tiny little starter home...only about 1000 square feet. This is only one bathroom in the house. I have learned from experience that when I reno houses like this, it is best to keep things clean and simple. It is not how I would decorate my own home, but it does seem to be what buyers in this price point, and in my area, are looking for.


The flooring is a new product put out by Allure. They have a standard planked-strip vinyl, and a new one which I used, call Allure Ultra. It clicks together much like Pergo, but is 100% vinyl so can be used in wet spaces like bathrooms and basements. I {LOVE} the look, it has a hand-scraped rustic look to it. 



 I always use the same beadboard painted white, the same white vanity and tan Corian top. Buyers always seem to love it, so I just keep using it. I think its so funny that there are multiple houses in my city that all have the same exact bathroom. I'm sure some paint the walls their own color, but I use white because it gives them a blank slate to work with once they move in. And it makes a space look so crisp and clean!




The tub was in incredible condition, other than the mildew and awful color. Oh, and the stick-on daisy appliqués in the bottom of the tub. I decided rather than tear it out, I would have it professionally reglazed. For $500 it was the best solution for this house. I know 2 people personally that had their tubs glazed by this same man. One lasted 15 years, the other 17 before they had to be redone. I thought that was a pretty good track record, so I gave it a try. 




I am happy to have life back to normal again. It was not an easy week. I was feeling achy and old every night when I got home! I lost 4 pounds in the process, so that made me a little happy! But now I have to get back to reality with mounds of laundry waiting for me...dishes piled up by the sink and tumbleweeds of dog hair floating through my hallway. 

{sigh...}

I am off to find that Calgon. If you don't hear from me for a few days, I really did take me away. 







43 comments:

  1. I think it looks terrific...so fresh and clean like you said. Love the beadboard!

    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way it looks! Always best to go with what works, especially when you're selling it. Hope Calgon does the trick for you!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. We have a rental property that we redid a couple years ago and kept it simple as well. Our "supplies" look suspiciously like yours, there a Menards in your neck of the woods?

    What's Calgon?

    JUST KIDDING!!!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks unbelievable..Clean and Crisp..Great job..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! what a fab make over!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks super!! Can't believe the difference in the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks really great, mary! you are such a makeover, house CPR-r, pro!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes is right! Great job~Blessings Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary~~ It looks terrific. What a dramatic transformation. You deserve a nice bath or maybe even a few:) BTW~~ I got my Swedish book and I love it. It is going to make an appearance in a future post of mine. Be on the look out.

    Enjoy your relaxation
    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Mary,

    Come over to my house and fix it! You do things so quick & efficient, and so cost effectively!!! Love what you did - I'm sure it will sell fast! :) Have a great week!


    Hugs,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally remember this commercial!! Ha!! And your bathroom re-do is fabulous! Well done!
    It does look crisp and clean.
    Good luck on the "flip".
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh - I'm exhausted just reading this! You've done an incredible job and I'm sure it will be scooped up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! what an amazing transformation! The bathroom looks great! Have you shown the rest of the house and I missed it? I to have been busy and not able to blog much!

    Enjoy the bath!

    tot

    ReplyDelete
  14. So Pretty and Fresh! I love what you chose. My sister just told me about that flooring. Genius! It looks so real. Thanks for sharing your ideas. You did a beautiful job.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks great mary. i love the floor. we used one similar at our cabin. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember that commercial! We used to act it out when we were little, lol! Great job on the bathroom, hopefully the house will be SOLD soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow!!! I love it! You are right.. is does look so clean :) I think I would leave it like that if it was my home.

    That vanity is out of this world (heehee!)

    go get some Calgon...

    ReplyDelete
  18. After "bringing home the bacon, and frying it up in the pan"... Calgon will certainly take it away!!! Was worried the yuck you had took over. Whenever I have been sick i "wake" from the crud ready to accomplish some tasks!
    Hope all your hard work pays off with a speedy sale!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great W.T. The floor looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great! And yes, i am sadly old enough to remember the calgon commercial. At least we were really little when it was on, right? really really young? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! It's looking great! Can't wait to see some more photos - I love before and after shots!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely LOVE your BLOG! You make me laugh! Lord knows we need more to smile about these days! Some of the things you post and say remind me of a few close friends when we have our girls day out. There is always that one thing which happens-memoriable funny or goofy. Keep up the FUN! P.S. Would you say you're a Lucy or an Ethel? Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Mary! What a transformation. It's looking fabulous, girl! You are BUSY!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes I do remember the calgon commercials!
    The bathroom looks so pretty...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was so hoping you would share some photos of all your hard work. I'm sure there are lots of new owners in your area who would be grateful you redid the bathrooms of the homes they bought if they knew the bathrooms looked at all like the before of this one! Wow, what a terrific change! So fresh and I think that is really important for a bathroom, especially in a starter home where the owners may not have the experience or income for an immediate makeover. Wishing you well in your sale and I hope you do get your Calgon moment (I also remember and yes I must have been very young, honest, really....)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok, just to make you feel better, YES, i remember that commercial!

    Nice renovation... the bathroom looks so bright and fresh and pretty. I don't know what anyone was thinking putting in flesh colored anything!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. mary i love seeing your project, you're one hard working gal! i think you did a great job on the bathroom it looks so bright and clean. hope you get to catch up and relax and yes i remember those commercials!! hugs,susan

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks great, girl!!!
    :-)
    shaunna

    ReplyDelete
  30. Almost nothing makes me as happy as white beadboard. Love it so!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You totally breathed new life into that icky bathroom, Mary! Wow!! GREAT job! (Isn't that flesh color stuff considered "vintage".....??? hehehehe!) I'm laying some Allure flooring in my teeny tiny entryway this week and can hardly wait to get it down now! Oh....and if you get a chance, you can pop that tureen in the mail to me....once you return from Calgonland, of course. lol! Hugs!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  32. I did not know that reglazing would last that long. It will be an option for me too one day. Taking out an existing tub is miserable, especially to get at plumbing. The bathroom looks clean and lovely. Just right for that Calgon bath.

    ReplyDelete
  33. GREAT job!
    You are a jack of all trades, and master of pretty much ALL of them!

    XOXO,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's really gorgeous now! So glad to hear about the tub reglazing. I've been thinking of getting the tile around my tub reglazed (it's 1960's blue).

    ReplyDelete
  35. Don't you wish the previous owners could see what you've done? Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yipee, you did a great job girl!! so pretty, the new owners will be soo happy! I love the beadboard! Thanks for a'sharin'!

    ReplyDelete
  37. White beadboard is a girl's best friend! So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing transformation. You must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love it -- I sell plumbing and I am serious fan of some white fixtures and chrome faucets. Yo absolutely stunning "flesh" colored fixtures in the before shots are actually a color called FAWN BEIGE. Even in the 1970's, designers found fun names for really bad design choices.

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I know this has been awhile back but can you tell me what color that Allure flooring was? We are fixing to use in our house and I like that color. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am really amazed at the transformation. The newly renovated bathroom is just so fresh and clean looking. I love the choices of colors because these certainly brighten up the room. Now, this is a perfect place to perform personal routines. Thank you for sharing this. This will surely inspire several other homeowners.

    ReplyDelete