Sunday, January 9, 2011

guest bedroom project & a little help from a friend...




This week, I am embarking on a guest-bedroom makeover adventure!

It is going to be interesting, and I can't wait to share the final details...I believe this is the first around-the-house project I will be featuring here on my blog.

I am usually so busy working on client pieces, there is no "me time" left in my days. I just don't have the opportunity to share the things I would really like to with you.




But, its a New Year, so time for new things! And I vowed this year I am going to finish some projects I have wanted to do...and share them with you through my blog. I bet you had no idea I am was a DIY junkie, did you?? There is a little pattern in my life..I buy a house, totally redo it...sell it and start all over again. That seems to be my M.O. But it feels like a secret side of me, because I have never let that part of my show here on my blog.



When I started making plans for this room, I found I had so many ideas swimming around in my head, I just could not decide what to do! Thankfully, my friend Andrea has come to the rescue!



You may know Andrea as in the girl behind the incredible farmhouse and fabulous blog Faded Plains. Well, she and I have discovered over the last year that we MUST be long lost twin sisters, because it is amazing how we love so many of the same things and want such similar things in our life! This is what I love about blogland...how it can bring people together that never would have crossed paths otherwise.
Anyway, about the bedroom. Andrea and I are going to be collaborating and blogging about our project. I just have not quite decided yet if I should show the progress as we go, or do a big reveal and then show you what we did. Hmmm...any opinions out there on that subject??



We have one rather unique feature for the room, so lets hope it turns out as we hope! These are a few photos that have inspired us...I won't tell you which element from each photo got us all excited, but if you have been reading my blog for a while, you may be able to guess.

*smile*




(all photos from Country Living, except #3 is unknown)

I can't wait to get started...how crazy are we, anyway? Putting our heads together and coming up with a fresh, new space...even though 422 miles separate us, and she has never seen the space other than through photos! But she has amazing skills at making a room simple and beautiful...plus she's super fun, so any excuse I can come up with to call her and yak on for 3-hours like I usually do...I'm going to do it!  I am gonna love this crazy process!

It should be an adventure! Let the fun begin!

I am off to Chicago bright and early Monday morning...I'm on the hunt for new bed linens!

Woohoo!











44 comments:

  1. My bedroom needs a redo. I think I'll wait until I see the magic you two come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a good make-over :). I look forward to seeing yours! It sounds even more fun to do it with a friend. I am oing to be redoing my master bedroom and I'm really enjoying the process of gathering things bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like fun! I for one would like to see progress pictures as you go, maybe a peek here and there. I love blog surfing on your sidebar btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what you two come up with! It's so much fun to "hear" that the two of you are working on this "together".

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anxious to see the final reveal! I have a feeling it will be marvelous.
    What a way to start the new year!
    Enjo!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful inspiration pics! Should be a beauty of a room!
    HOllie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great is this!! The best thing in the world is meeting Blog Friends! I like to see as you go on projects! Yay!

    I do have A New Great Giveaway from Blydesign!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gonna be fun! I can't wait to see what you do! Please just give us at least little snippets of what's going on. Got that? Snippets! If necessary, I can survive on snippets! I am gearing up for a master bedroom re-do myself because of linens I found.
    LOVE luv LOVe Your blog,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm working on my bedroom even as I write. It's a mess so I can't wait to see what you come up with. Your inspiration pics are great! Sounds like you too will have lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your inspiration photos! You have some great ideas flowing. Looking forward to your makeover. I had to do a double take when I saw the bench, at the end of the bed, in the bedroom with the brick wall. I just found one this past week. Love it!

    Good luck in Chicago! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great trip. I'll be eager to see what you decide to do with your room. All the inspiration photos are gorgeous! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of these inspirational photos, Mary! And, I just LOVE Andrea's bedroom, so I have no doubt this room is going to turn out gorgeous! Can't wait to see your progress and the big reveal!
    Have fun in Chicago tomorrow!
    Hugs,
    Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love makeovers! Can't wait to see how it all turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary~ I LOVE those rooms too!;) And I looove Andrea and her wonderful etsy shop and blog! Hope you had a wonderful weekend and find the bedding you are looking for~ I cant wait to get my antique green glass I bought from you too! Hugs, Rachel

    French Farmhouse 425

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh i love those rooms & all the little horse inspired decorations, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what fun you both will have!!! The rooms you posted sure inspire me. I am doing a guest room makeover as well!! Woot!!
    Can't wait to see yours!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous inspiration pics! I can't wait to see what you and Andrea get up to with your makeover, I know it will be FABULOUS. Happy week to you ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the inspiration photos and I can't wait to see what the two of you come up with, I know it will be amazing! How fun that you are doing this together, I love blogland!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun collaboration between two like-minded blog buddies! I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't she just darling?

    I can't wait to see what you girls come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hmmmm barnwood maybe??? i love each and every picture you showed. the brick wall made me gasp a little. so excited for you. i want to see that secret side girlie. let it all hang out:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I can't wait to see what you two put together. I love Andrea, she has great style.

    Great inspiration photos too. The second one has my dream tub that I have coveted for sooo long...oh, someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, Mary...I can just about imagine the fabulousness you two ladies will create!!!

    Enjoy the process!!!!;)))

    Blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  24. A couple little teasers (little ones!) and then a big reveal. Oooh, I'm all abuzz!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so exciting! Can't wait to see what you two creative beauties come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am excited!!! Show us SOMETHING! ( :
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please please please show us as you go....there is no way we could wait till the end :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  28. I adore all those rooms and I adore Andrea..she is just awesome and oh so talented...what fun you will have!!! x0

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm sure your makeover will be beautiful!!! I cannot wait to see it
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh yeah sista...we're gonna rock this room!

    Love ya!
    Dude

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Love the inspiration pictures. I'm sure it'll be amazing.
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow I love all the pictures. Such great ideas from all of them.Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    PS. new follower, love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh please come back and tell us about bed linens. I'm in the process of re-doing our master bedroom and need some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh I would like to see the progress myself! I am very excited at this & can't wait to see what you churn out - I know it will be too fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Mary. I'm a new follower, by way of Meg @Whatever... I am so glad I have clicked on your blog, it's fantastic! Kristen @JustLiveSimply.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. These rooms are beautiful, can't wait to see what you decide! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  38. show us just enough to make us beg for more, then show us a HUGE reveal.

    can't wait, Mary!!!!

    btw. we have the same MO...we've bought, renovated and sold 4 homes in the past ten years. It's fun....in fact, I'm getting antsy in this house that we live in b/c it is a parsonage so there really isn't a whole lot we can do to it.....needing my fix...I'll live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. YAY! I can't wait to see what you two do!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  40. waiting... not too patiently.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Can't wait to see the redo! I love fixing up and selling too- we've put that on hold now while our little one is in school to give her some continuity, but I could see myself itching to do it again in the future.
    I wanted to let you know that I finally got my Pottery Barn item from the gift card giveaway! I mentioned you in today's post along with showing what I got. :)
    thank you SO much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. came to your blog via Farmhouse love. I love you blog and after scrolling down a bit, I saw pictures of Northwind perenial Farm. I love that place...i have been there and have some of their plants, but haven't been there in a while. Their summer festivities are great as well. I live just a few minutes down the road. We went there alot before it really grew, but it was still beautiful!! I go to just look, it has such a peaceful and calming atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just casting my vote to show progress along the way. ESPECIALLY if you are DIYing it! You can probably give more details if you are focused on only one piece at a time.
    And Im sure many of us will want the details!! :)

    ReplyDelete